*Extra Detailing Tutorial for Azone Otogi na Kuni Mermaid Princess Minami doll
* Pico Pico Doll Tutorial for 11cm Obitsu
* Miniature Pintucking Instructions
* Miniature Cupboard Instructions
* Little Dolls and A Forest Story Mini Comic [Petworks Dolls]
* Nendoroid and Obitsu 11cm Hybriding * Tutorial and Clothing Instructions
* Miniature Cookie Tutorial
* Fortune Wanda/ Wonder Frog Catalog
* 2016 Blythe Charity Auction Gallery
* Retro-dresses Liccas and Miniature Vintage Magazine Prop
* [???] One-pieces for KukuClara and Blythe
* Tyrolean One-piece Set for KukuClara
* Bonnet and One-piece for Excellina Jenny
* Dress for Mermaid Princess Minami/ Pure Neemo L
* Prim Jacket, Inner Blouse, Pantoloons for Obitsu 11cm
* [?? Too much kanji can’t read. It’s a jumpsuit] for Momoko
* Pintuck Dress for KukuClara
* Go Out China Girl for Ruruko/Pureneemo XS [Chinese One-piece, Drawers, Petticoat and Hair Ribbons]
* Pucchi Prince Set for Ruruko and Oni-san Set for Jossie and Hitsuji [And Usaggie and Kumaboro etc. Momo Headdress, Momo Blouse, Frill Kabocha Pants, Momo Beret, Oni Headdress, Bikini Top]
* “I Want To Sleep In Your Book” One-piece Set for Momoko [One-piece, Stockings, Pettcoat, Bloomers]
* What is Obitsu-roid? for Obitsu 11 [Tank Top/Cardigan, Sirwal Pants
* High Waist One-piece And Cardigan for Dollfie Dream
(If you repost this list, please give credit and do not use it for profit)
I was excited about the new Barbie bodies. The articulation looked pretty basic, but the new molds were exciting enough for that not to matter. I just wouldn’t buy as many and I’d avoid the ones with preposed arms.
Then I found out that Mattel had stopped doing click-knees years ago, so the new dolls can only sit like baby dolls. Arrrgh.
I have gotten to a point in my collecting where I have to be choosy-er and ask “Yeah, but what will I DO with it?” Less-articulated dolls have been recieving upgrades of either MtM bodies or Fashionistas. These new Barbies are a step forward in shapes and skintones but a step backwards for articulation.
Petite and Tall? I’d buy my favorites from the line with at least click-knees. I am less interessted in them than Curvy because you can already get dolls taller and shorter than a standard Barbie.
More articulated versions won’t either won’t happen or won’t happen without people buying these ones. I originally said I wouldn’t be buying them for anything other than holiday donations, but…I wonder….is there is any easy way to articulate a Curvy?
Could you cut the joints off an articulated figure, cut the corosponding areas off the Curvy and graft the joints on to the Curvy? If Barbie-sized joints are too small, maybe a male figure?
….Not that they are in stock in the local stores yet, though.
Walmart had the ribbon head-band MLP brushables in, just no Starlight Glimmer. I only saw ONE SG from the ribbon line before it. It’s weird.
I have managed to score more or less all the Pinky-themed minis I wanted, though 😀 (Just the Cakes and Maud, really.)
…Oh yeah! The MLP stuff they displayed at Toy Fair!
I’ll probably partake of some of the Nightmare Night minis. The Guardians of Harmony…eee…I like the idea of Big Spike, but he’s kind of pricey. I like the little armored Spike, but he is only sold with Chrysalis-On-Wheels. The toys I am REALLY interessted? The pearly brushables.
I think the pearly finish looks pretty and sets the Mane Six apart from their other releases. It’s such a basic thing, something the 80’s toys did and the first G3s kind of had as a default. That, and they did the Crystal Empire thing way back…it’s weird that they are only doing pearly ponies now.
(AND! The line has a bunch of new characters! *_* Woo!)
I posted my completed bingo cards on Tumblr, but here is the text version of what I checked off.
* Other Countries: I have dolls from Japan, Korea and China.
* Anthro: I. Love. Anthros. Pinkie Cooper, Hujoo Freya, Petworks Nikki, Peteena, Petworks Kuma Bolo and Usaggie, Coco Tribe, Luts Zuzu Delf, the MH animal-people…it’s best to end list now but I have at least one doll from each of those.
* Period Dress: I keep starting and never finishing (loosely?) historical costumes. I do have a Madame Alexander outfit from a Little Women doll, though, and I had a southern belle outfit that I gave away when I was 12ish. :<
* Older Than Me: Peteena, my G1 Strawberry Shortcakes, most of the G1 MLP, the Davtex doll I found, a Maddie Mod, vintage knock-off Skipper, legit vintage Skooter and Live Action Skipper, my Sindys, Cover Girl Darci…might have missed one or two.
* Childhood Dolls Left: A few survived! Babysitter Skipper, Maxie, Pony Bride, 92’ Strawberry Shortcake, Blueberry Muffin and Lime Chiffon. Conditions were…mixed.
Multiples of a Character: I have a few Maxies, a few Skippers, the Mane cast of MLP, multiple generations of a few SSC characters, MH Catty Noir, Pullip, Licca, Liccas’s parents, Koby, Eitan and Jade of the Bratz.
* Relationships: Haven’t really thought much on dolly relationships since my heavy Bratz days. One Koby was dating an Eitan, the other was interessted in Dana.
More recent dolls? Licca’s parents and grand parents are, of course, couples. One of my Pullips has a Taeyang boyfriend. Maybe more couples will pop up, as I finish projects.
* Celeb. Dolls: I have an Uno Kanda doll :3 I actually don’t know a lot about her, I got the doll because it was inexpensive, articulated and had a beautiful face print.
* Preorders: My Petworks dolls were all pre-orders. The resin BJDs, I guess? Since they weren’t in hand at the time?
* Dolls Aged 30+: Licca’s parents, grandmothers and grandfather are all 30+. Plus, I have the Happy Family Grandma head on a regular Barbie body.
* Related: THREE GENERATION OF LICCA, BABY! Grandparents, parents, Licca and the siblings. I have 3 of the 3 MH Wolf siblings. My multiple Bratz Kobys were related, as where the Eitans.
* Furniture: A fair amount, between what I’ve bought and what I have made. I am trying to do more MAKING, lately. (*COUGH*MyFroggyStuff*COUGH*
* 14+ Joints: Volks Dollfie 27cm and three piece Obitsus. ‘Nuff said.
* Bought For Clothing: I don’t do often because I usually don’t see good enough deals to justify getting a doll and getting rid of the doll it’self. I did mercilessly buy and strip the cheaper High School Musical dolls, though. And there was a Kari Mitchell doll who hit the donation bag as soon as I got home.
* NRFB: The first MH Catty Noir and a Sega Kohran Li from Sakura Wars are permenantly chilling in their boxes.
* Buying Miniatures: A decent collection :3 I am making a better effort to sort my props by type (hello Rainbow Loom boxes!) and keep a running catalog of what I have, to avoid buying things identical to what I already have. (NO. MORE. WINE BOTTLES.) I really like Re-Ment and Orcara (Art of Wine, Fruits and Cooking with Master as full sets! Yay!) but I keep my eye out for things that aren’t being sold specifically for dolls but work. Like “3D cabochons”. I am also trying to MAKE more things.
* Gotten Someone Else To Join: Yup! She’s not really into dolls anymore but a regular friend did end up a dolly friend for a bit 😀
* 100+ Dolls?: Uh, yes. I keep a catalog of which dolls I have and population numbers. I have, indeed, passed 100 and made Adult Choices ™ to prune a bit.
* Anime-Style: Only most of them :3 I like a “cute adult” type look and anime-style dolls fit the bill.
* Wings: Rochelle, the Gargoyle CAM and some WIP fairies.
* Blogging: Tumblr and this main WordPress 😀
* Rerooting: Heck yah, I have rooted a doll! I have rooted quite a few. I have never sold a reroot, though, because I worry that it’s not up to snuff. I use the knot method so, while there is no glue in the head, there are a lot of knots. I HAVE done the locked-loop method, but it takes me a ridiculous amount of time and I keep dropping loops. :<
* Head Shrinking: I have shrunk a number of test heads. I have a couple that I plan to try at some point in the future.
* Sculpting from Scratch: I have actually tried to sculpt a doll twice. One was suposed to be a 1/6 version of the Super Dollfie body and one was when I never thought I’d be able to buy a Blythe or Licca. Both were sculpted based on measurements to be about the right size. I had problems making the ball-joints for the tiny SD and the Licca-size doll’s torso ended up broken. Both ended up in the trash. I’ll try again some day, though.
* Tatoos: I gave an action figure a bunch of them with a dollar store fake tattoo sheet. When I was just starting customizing, I painted a few directly on a Barbie and sealed them with clear nailpolish that later went gooey -_-
* Wigs: I have made wigs with hot glue in the past and yarn and I am messing around with latex mold maker and mohair now. It all goes south at the part. I can’t seem to do it without the latex making it look all gross. (I also tried hard cap wig making but had a similar problem, just with epoxy glue on my hands)
* Rooted Lashes: I have rooted lashes on a few dolls :3 I like to use nylon because it’s usually stiffer than saran.
* Hair Transplant: Back when I couldn’t get new doll hair, I did try using some hair off a doll with a messsed up face. The hair wasn’t in very good condition, though, so it wasn’t that great. Lately, I have harvested nylon from baited MLP to fill in bangs for others, since you can’t buy exact matches,
* Scars/Injuries/Gore Mods: When I first started, I customized a doll store doll with scars. I made them LAVENDER. I was going for that faded purple-y look some older scars have.
*Shoes: I have made a few pairs of sandals (foam or cork), slippers (foam and fleece) and boots out of felt. Attempts at doing legit looking boots or flats have failed, so far.
* Eyes: I have made doll eyes using the DIY kits and I made Animetic-style eyes using polymer clay and Blythe chips.
* I have made food items with polymer clay or Model Magic. Books, present boxes, a spear…um…I made an attempt at sculpting a sewing machine. I unearthed a poorly-made Game Boy from back when I collected Bratz 😀
* Mod for Posing: I shaved the back of someone’s knee…but whose what it? I have also taken apart a couple doll parts to unstick a moving part.
* Sock Clothing: I have been buying up dollar store socks to make wee sweaters, lately. I need to get more of them finished…
* Adding/Removing Body Parts: I have a partially finished Rin Tezuka doll. Rin doesn’t have lower arms, so the arms had to be modified and rounded off.
* Repainting I have repainted dolls. I stopped because I felt like they never turned out right (which is the oposite of what you do to get better….)
* Resculpting Faces: I have a partially finished fantasy Dwarf doll whose face is entirely resculpted and a shrunken My Scene head with the beginnings of a muzzle.
* Making Furniture: I have made a bunch of chairs, couches, some flower boxes, a bed (that broke :<), a bench, eeee…probably other things.
* Natural Fiber: I have rerooted with mohair a few times :3 Probably the only natural fiber I’ll try, apart from felted wool dreadlocks (Ugh! They take so long!)
* Big Head to Bigger Body: My rerooted Ddung head is on a Moxie Girlz body, instead of her original tiny one. I have a rerooted Mame Momoko head on an Obitsu body I need to photograph, too.
* Non Fabric Clothing: Tissue paper dress!
(Stuff in blue is what I’ll try in the future. Decals and a 3+ hybrid body. I already have the decals, so that will happen much sooner.)
Heehee. So, a doll-related bingo card was being circulated on Tumblr and one complaint was that it was too specifically for BJD owners. So, I came up with a more general one:
Heehee…notice how the animal aspects one, the wing one and the related dolls ones are NOT near each other. That’s on purpose. Monster High is popular, contains animal dolls with wings and now as a 4 character chain of related dolls. Didn’t want to make it TOO easy, ya no? 😀
I wanted a bingo to be possible for the non-customizing crowd, so I did customizing squares as a seperate card:
Except for the selling, yes, failed attempts count! 😀
You can’t really talk about the Disney Decendant dolls without comparing them to EAH. It’s not even so much the theme, since “child of famous character” has been a popular idea forever. It’s more the combination of a huge head with a skinny, articulated body AND the story idea.
And then there’s Audrey. Medium skintone, brown eyes and hair with pink as her main color. Sleeping Beauty’s kid. That’s a little too close to Briar Beauty, says I. If they had swapped her with Ben and made her Belle’s daughter, it could have been avoided. Even going with blue or purple for the outfit and ditching the pink hair streak would have helped.
Jane…I probably would have guessed was a “Jane Jr.” or “Little Jane”. She’s the Fairy Godmother’s daughter but I think she looks like Tarzan’s eventual wife.
Carlos….is Heath. Just everything about him makes me think of a recolored Heath Burns. Little disapointed to see the molded finger-less gloves since it would reduce his versatility as a body donor.
No doll shown but, apparently they have given Jafar a son named Jayden. When did JAFAR have time to make a baby?? Did he have someone on the side when he was trying to get with Jasmine? (Though, hell, apparently he had a twin sister I hadn’t heard of, so I can’t say I’m up to date on Jafar’s biz)
I. HATE. LOT COLOR. DIFFERENCES. The current batch of Water Nixie nylon that Dolly Hair has is greyer than previous. It worked out perfectly for a project but now I’d like to have the previous, brighter blue for something and there’s no guarantee it will reappear.
Though, I supose if I want to be POSITIVE about it, we may end up with BOTH available,like with Lucky/Unlucky Clover and Old/regular Bubblegum.
It feels to me like the nylon supply is less stable than the saran supply. Like most of the saran colors never really become long-term unavailable or change but nylon does. Maybe this is the price we pay for the much larger collection of colors nylon comes in?
Today, I was thinking about how, if I had a neverending pile of money, I’d call up Tina of DH and Kathy of Restore Doll and be like “How much for one of everything? Yeah. One of everything. Just to have ready in case I need it.”
It’s kind of hard to figure out what the cost of a full, basic color palette from RH would be, because some of the colors are actually blends. They do have a sample pack with the blends included for $324.83.
On DH, 131 shades of nylon are listed. If they all came back into stock at once, you could get a MLP hank of each for $408.72 USD. If you ordered right now, you could get the 106 in stock for $330.72.
56 shades of regular saran in the RD hank size would be $140 and shipping. For the 50 colors in stock, it would be $125. If you wanted enough of each to actually do Barbie-sized heads, they do a 100 RD skein special for $215.
The thermal saran colors cost more and the 4 colors would be $15.48.
(Why post this? *shrug* Maybe other people have had similar day dreams and are curious? A little bit of trivia for you. Shipping not included in the totals, BTW)
I visited the Licca Castle shop site for the first time in a while, trying to decide on a hair style for the Ren I’m rerooting. I had no idea they did Licca Castle Angel Garden Jenny and Friend dolls! I thought that line was long dead. But…guys…where’s Lilian? She’s much cuter than Felice! (To me, anyway.)
On the Licca front, there’s a lot of the standard stuff but, then, there’s:
Babylonia Model, with golden streaks in her dark hair.
Galum Model, sporting a hair-bow-made-of-hair that I associate with Lady Gaga, even though I shouldn’t.
Mizushima Model, with pink and blond up front and long pink braids in the back.
QP Model, with blond in the front and pale pink curls in the back.
2014 Birthday Edition Model, with her curly blond poof in the front.
Apart from that last one, the dolls are part of a 20th aniversery celebration for the castle! I wondered why there was an adult man doll near the end of the listing but it’s Licca’s paternal grandfather, Albert. Is that ‘stache painted? I could have sworn the old ones had rooted facial hair.
Oh, that Licca! She’s awful cute but wouldn’t she be better if she rode a unicycle? Yep. It’s a legit accessory set.
It actually got me thinking about how different Licca and her market are from Barbie and hers. Licca’s, what, 10? She is part of a big family with 4 sisters, 1 brother, parents who not only exist but have NAMES, cousins and 3 out of 4 grandparents. She does a bit of glam but the home life is really played up.
Midge’s Happy Family line died out and most kids didn’t seem to really get excited over grandparent dolls.
I like to write my entries in Notepad, include most of the HTML, then paste them in to the HTML box. But….it’s like WordPress is ignoring the fact that I just want to put it in as HTML and makes HTML mode into a psuedo-Visual mode. I spent extra time going back and fixing all the extra line breaks it added in and I really shouldn’t have to. I wonder what’s going on…
One positive about Starlight Glimmer’s hairstyle is that, when I reroot the upcoming toy, I can dodge a lot of the holes that will be damaged by removing the stupid glued-in ribbon. A proper mint colored nylon doesn’t really exist but I am thinking mixing some (Un?)Lucky Clover in to Daiquiri Ice might work.
The Power Ponies are Target-exclusive and Canada just lost their Targets. Maybe they will turn up in another shop? “Exclusive” stuff has before. I guess I didn’t really NEED Mistress Mare-velous, though I still kind of wanted her for the Applejack herd.
Sparrow Miniatures has new stuff in Michael’s. Camera, beer mug, wine bottles, telephone, pitchers of lemonade, juice, and more. Maybe I should have taken a quick snapshot so I’d remember. The site doesn’t list anything but the usual line, though the blog has projects that used the winter themed line. A lot of it is too small for 1/6 but some of it will work.
A few items in the regular section have also been discounted. I bought the mini potted cactus but the ceramic house, beehive and scarecrow weren’t things I could use and the notepad/pencil…well, I can make one of those.
Speaking of Michael’s, Magic Glos UV resin is on clearance. I hope something will replace it. It’s a neat product to mess around with. I like that humidity isn’t an issue like with regular resin.
If you are visiting from Flickr, hello! 😀 If you have no idea what I am talking about, I waited to anounce this blog on my Flickr account. I wanted to have it more or less good to go before I said anything.
I also wanted to show off my (finally) finished Value Village Sindy, so I combined the two!
When I was trying to edit the photos, went looking for a tutorial and realised that my copy of Paint Shop Pro is 16 years old. That’s….really old. I got it for Christmas, wayback when, and it was “expensive software”. It still more or less works but I am wondering what the price would be to upgrade it.
Put clear tape over the color names on your Dolly Hair packets. The hair comes in resealable bags with the names handwritten in marker and the marker scratches off over time. I have been going through my doll hair boxes, organizing and pre-prepping plugs for future use. A bunch of my DH bags have been bumped around to the point that I can’t read the names. I was going to re-label them ALL but, naw, just put some tape on there to protect it. S’all good.
(Restore Doll has printed labels but the bags are machine-sealed and can’t be reused. You’ll have to rebag and label those. 😀 )